Question! How to lose weight while eating a lot of fat? Welcome to a ketogenic diet. Explore further to understand the Keto Diet for Beginners.
What is Keto Diet?
Keto diet is high fat and low-carb eating, it’s the general keto diet definition.
In today’s world, where everyone wants to eat more and still wants to look slim and healthy, the keto diet is something that helps them to achieve this.
Keto diet for beginners may feel tough, but it’s versatile and healthy.
Keto diet has become very popular in recent times.
Why Keto Diet is Good?
Keto diet basics are you need not count your calories or keep a track of your food intake on this diet.
You can simply follow the diet and awaits for the result, its quiet easy Keto diet for beginners. If you want you can go for the best fitness tracker with heart rate monitor.
This is proven to be more beneficial and gives quick results than restricted fat-diet.
Keto diet benefits in a lot of ways, it is helpful in a wide variety of health conditions such as health disease, Acne, Cancer, Epilepsy, Brain injuries, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Polycystic Ovary syndrome.
It is even recommended by doctors.
A keto diet is forming an important part in the life of many people nowadays. Over 60% of the population is on the keto diet.
It’s not easy to follow any diet, there will be lots of distractions, but one needs to be firm about his/her goals, Keto diet for beginners is not so easy if the person is a big fan of eating.
Meaning of Ketones
An alternative source of fuel is Ketones, it is the molecules that are formed by converting fat from our body and keto diet by the liver, it is done when the right amount of glucose as required by our body is not present.
This puts the person on prime weight loss mode that is ketosis.
If ketone levels measure is 0.5-3.0 millimoles per liter, then a person is in a state of ketosis.
Ketones can be made by keto diet, intermittent fasting, and exercising.
Benefits of Keto Diet
Is keto diet healthy? It is the concern of many people, but a keto diet not only helps you to reduce weight and burn fat but also helps you in many other ways.
- Immense body fat is burned resulting in weight loss.
- Our hunger hormone ghrelin is suppressed and cholecystokinin is increased by ketones, which reduces our appetite and makes us feel heavy for a longer period of time.
- It reduces inflammation, too much inflammation is not good for our body as it leads to increased risk of health problems.
- The amount of fat required by our brain to be energetic is provided by the diet, it charges up our brain.
- The power generator cells, mitochondria are created by the brain with the help of ketosis, thus it increases our energy.
- Improved body composition.
Types of Keto Diets
There are varieties of the Keto Diet, one needs to go through each carefully and choose accordingly.
The bifurcation is good for the Keto Diet Beginner’s Guide.
1. Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD)
High fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet is what Standard keto diet all about.
The Keto diet explained here consists of 70-75% fat, 20% protein, and 5-10% of carb. To further distinction as per the grams to be consumed per day in SKD would be-
- Carbohydrate – 20-25g
- Protein – 40-60g
- Fat – No set limit, because energy level varies from person to person
This diet has persistently shown success in allowing people to lose weight, improve blood glucose control, and improve heart health.
2. Very Low-Carb Ketogenic Diet (VLCKD)
VLCKD usually refers to the standard ketogenic diet, as SKD is a low-carb diet.
3. Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD)
It is also known as carb backloading.
It is called so because it involves having five keto days followed by two higher carb days.
In the initial five days, the amount of carb consumed could be less than 50 grams per day, but on a higher carb day, the amount to be consumed per day will be approximately 150 grams.
This diet is best for athletes.
4. Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)
It is a compromise between SKD and CKD, it allows you to consume extra carbohydrate on your workout day.
You need to take extra carb half an hour before your exercise.
The concept behind this is that carbohydrate consumed before or after some physical activity is processed much more efficiently.
If you are suffering in a gym because of this diet, then this diet is best for you.
5. MCT Ketogenic Diet
It is the same as the standard ketogenic diet, but it has focused on using medium chain triglycerides (MCT) to provide much of fat content to the diet.
Coconut oils consist of MCT’s and it is also available as MCT oil and MCT emulsion liquid. MCT keto diet is used to treat epilepsy.
But large consumption can lead to stomach upset and diarrhea, to be on the safe side it is recommended to have a balanced meal by using MCT and Non-MCT fat.
6. Dirty Ketogenic Diet
With the freedom to eat anything except for bread, sugar, fruit, and sweets, a dirty ketogenic diet promises a weight loss.
It follows the same breakdown of fat, protein, and carbs as the regular diet, but with some freedom.
7. High protein Ketogenic Diet
This involves a large intake of protein as compared to the standard keto diet.
The ratio is somewhat 35% protein, 60% fat, and 5% carb. It is a keto diet for weight loss, as it is beneficial for people who want to lose weight.
Keto Diet Side-effects
Is Keto diet safe? Everything that has benefits comes with some drawbacks.
However, the Keto diet is safe for many people. It is recommended to consult a doctor if you are facing any problem.
The side effects obviously vary from person to person, as a keto diet for a beginner you need not worry much about it.
Here, we have outlined how to overcome keto diet issues or side effects as well.
Some people may wake up at night while following the keto diet. It is usual when people follow a strict keto diet.
It is recommended to have a nice amount of carb before going to bed. You can have a teaspoon of raw honey.
People who are not used to consume a higher fat diet may face this problem.
- You can slowly start using MCT oils. It may take time for your digestive system to adapt to MCT oil.
- You can use enzymes that will help you digest the fat. You can go for lipase or hydrochloric acid (HCL).
3. Keto Rash
It is also known as Prurigo Pigmentosa. It is not life-threatening or dangerous.
Keto rash can be seen on the back, chest, neck, or armpit. It is itchy and red in color.
This happens to people with differences in hormones, gut bacteria, or people with different allergies.
- If your diet has less amount of carb, you can switch to more carb by consuming sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, pumpkins, and butternut squash.
- Like any other rash, keto rash may worsen with dirt, itching, sweat or heat.
- You can wear comfortable and loose clothes, avoid itching, deodorants, perfumes, and any physical activity which leaves out excess sweat.
4. Keto Flu
Keto Flu is a common side effect mainly found in keto diet for beginners.
The general symptoms are headache, brain fog, irritability, muscle soreness, poor focus, and sugar cravings. It generally hit in a 24-48 hour mark.
- Stay hydrated by consuming a heavy amount of water, you must consume ounces at least half of your weight.
- You need a nice amount of sleep at night. Getting a good sleep of 7-9 hours will work.
- You can do anything which reduces the stress level, you can go for a gentle walk or can do yoga, mild exercise or can meditate.
- You can take an exogenous ketone supplement. But go for a smaller dose in the initial 3-5 days of keto flu. Keto diet pills can be consulted by a doctor.
5. Kidney and Heart Damage
Dehydration is a serious cause that can lead to lightheadedness, kidney injury, or kidney stones.
On a keto diet, carb requires water for storage, thus you need to have a lot of water to not get dehydrated.
Keto diet for beginners is thus sometimes difficult if they are not aware of the caveats.
Muscles start to cramp because of dehydration and low electrolytes.
- Drink decent amount of water
- You can consult the doctor for keto diet supplements with magnesium, potassium, and sodium
What to Eat in Keto Diet
You can eat a number of foods on a keto diet, but the breakdown should be healthy fat about 75%, protein about 20%, and carb about 5%, this is generally followed by keto diet for beginners.
It may seem challenging, but many nutritious foods fit into this category. Keto diet grocery list is-
- Seafood – Fish, and Shellfish keto-friendly foods. But many types of seafood are carb-free or contains very low carb, one needs to analyze it first before eating.
- Low-carb vegetables – Keto diet for vegetarians include non-starchy vegetables are recommended as they are low in calorie and carb and high in nutrients.
- Cheese as they are low in carb and high in fat.
- Keto diet for meat eaters is not hard as meat and poultry can be consumed for they are free from carbs and are high in protein.
- Coconut oil
- Plain greek yogurt
- Cottage Cheese
- Olive oil
- Nuts and seeds
- Berries can be consumed as keto diet fruits.
- Butter and cream
- Shirataki Noodles can be taken as keto diet breakfast.
- Unsweetened tea or coffee
- Dark chocolate and cocoa powder
Fortunately, you can assume so many healthy and tasty food after being on a diet. You just need to take care of the amount you are consuming, Keto diet for beginners is quite tough to handle at times.
One needs to introspect himself/herself before choosing any of the keto diets.
Keto diet for beginners ebook for you to kickstart the beginner’s weight loss journey.
As a keto diet beginners must be aware of the pros and cons of the diet before implementing it.
A person with different allergenic problems or diabetes can consult a doctor before following the diet.
Keto Diet FAQ is quite often needed by many. Therefore, Your Fitness Pilot promises to bring the same to you.